Tokyo Broadcasting System has acquired 49 percent of Manga Box.
Tokyo Broadcasting System has decided to break into the manga industry by buying a sizable chunk of manga app, Manga Box. The venture will see both DeNA, the runners of Manga Box retaining 51 percent of its shares, with the remaining 49 percent going to TBS.
This joint venture comes as TBS seeks to jump-start catching up with its competitors, which have seen aa bit more success in the anime and manga industries, including distribution. The two companies will pool their resources to form another “box,” as well as cross-media.
Tokyo Broadcasting System is a major player in the Japanese broadcasting market, holding a large number of well-known channels and licenses.
Manga Box was launched as an app distributing manga by various makers back in 2013 to a decent level of success. The app garnered an audience of men and women in their 20s and 30s with an interest in romance, suspense, horror, and more.